Happy Holiday Season!
The holiday season is here! Although you may have lots to do, remember, it is never too early to plan your move for next year. As you spend time decorating and preparing the house for parties and family gatherings, remember to purge broken items. Broken reindeer figures and half working Christmas lights should be tossed away instead of packed away for another year of non-use. Decide which display items you want to keep after the end of the season, and if some are no longer useful, this is a convenient time to sort them out for donations, recycling or resale. You can never start too early!
Keep These Items in Mind as You Prepare Your Home to Enjoy this Season:
Outside: It is a natural time to take care of these chores just before you put up any decorations .
Your home will shine!
- Trim hedges and prune trees. Cut back overgrown shrubbery.
- Clean and align gutters and downspouts; clean the chimney.
- Remove oil stains from driveway and garage. Keep walks and driveway swept & free of foliage.
Inside: These details will help make your home more cozy and relaxing over the winter. The list is not as time consuming as it looks. Some of these items only take a few minutes!
- Repair cracks, holes and damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paint and tiles.
- Replace damaged window panes, mouldings and woodwork.
- Repair drippy faucets and shower heads. Unclog slow drains.
- Scrub and wax linoleum or wood floors.
- Clean out the fireplace and lay some logs in it.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs with brighter light bulbs. The additional light will make your home more welcoming to guests, and more appealing to potential buyers.
- Re-nail creaking boards or stairs. Lubricate squeaking doors.
- Clean all appliances (especially the refrigerator and oven).
- Replace old toilet seats and shower curtains.
- Clear all cobwebs from corners and doorways.
- Wash all light switches, handrails and doorknobs.
Other Jobs: (You may want to hire these out and save yourself the time to do other things. However, if you have the time, you can save some substantial money by doing them yourself!
- Wash the windows inside and out.
- Hire a cleaning service to thoroughly clean the interior.
- Paint the walls and ceilings off white or beige.
- Shampoo carpets. (Think especially about having this item professionally done. The results are superior.)
These details can make a difference in how quickly your home sells, and will help you get top dollar for your home. Completing these items will not only make you home more inviting to guests for the holidays, it will save you time and effort when you go to list your home a few months with me. 😉